Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Chapter 10

I found table 10.2 “Learning the Language of Text Messaging” interesting because now I can understand something I ignored before in text messaging.

I often use text messaging because cell phone is the only tool I can reach my friend on campus. Some students always bring their laptops, but I’m not sort of person. Well, I have seen many students do text messaging on campus, so probably it’s becoming one of the best communication tools.

Basically, what’s the language of text messaging trying is to make words shorter or to show writer’s emotion. “:-)” means happy, and “:-))” means very happy. Did you know the difference? I thought my friend just put extra “)” when I first saw “very happy” mark.

It is quite interesting people mix real words and text massaging words because text massaging language sometimes make reader confused %-) For example, “WRK” means “work,” but this reduces only one letter, and WRK looks like an acronym. Probably, this kind of language makes messages look friendlier, and it is easier for writer to show their emotion.

But I’m still wondering when I can use this kind of language, and I’m not sure whether or not I can remember all of them… PLS teach me new languages of text messaging L8R. :-)

2 comments:

B STRONG said...

Excellent post, excellent observations. I too found Table 10.2 on Text Talk Totally Tantilizing and Tuned into Today's organizational Times! No really, it is good. I see it, I hear it on TV, and before now I wasn't sure how to figure it out.

It's part of the New Technologies systems out there to help us efficiently speed up our communictation with one another.

However, I have mixed feelings on the whole "hurry up and get there" thinking, whether it be driving, flying, or texting. I sometimes feel rushed and wonder why? But not really- I see others impatiently waiting/ wondering about why someone is taking their time doing whatever it is they are doing. Does everything have to move to fast- and often at the expense of developing deeper connections? There are many many explanations, some of which are competition, efficiency, staying current, speed, being "in", boredom, and cultural ties- I could go on, but won't.

Back to texting- I like it! It's short, concise, and to the point and lets me move on with my life without spending too much down time. I think this is a great text table to learn from.:-))

Shiba Inu said...

I came from a collectivist culture in Asia and we were taught to value family, group, and common good over our own individual need, wants, and achievement. I grew up here in the United States in an individualist culture where people are expected to come to their own conclusions, solve their own issues, have their own things and views. From my perspective both are very different but cross paths in similarities here and there. Both cultures get their view from their surrounding environment its just the individualist culture is more expressive of their own feelings and opinions whereas the collectivists tend to hold it in and or agree with the majority.