Sunday, January 6, 2008

Chapter 3

I found “McGregor’s Theory Y Management” meaningful because it describes why people (including me) cannot motivate themselves sometime. When I was a high school student, I had experienced a couple of part time jobs, but I’d never loved my working place because I was just looking for money. I worked simply because I wanted to buy something, but not because I liked my job like “Theory X.” When I worked at a manufacturing company, my supervisor didn’t like me because I needed to be directed every single time, and he always got mad at me. Most of my colleagues there also felt bored and didn’t want to work hard because we could get same wage regardless of how many products we made. One day, our supervisor proposed a revision of the wage system. While he gave us incentives for extra works, our productivity raised. However, our supervisor stopped giving us incentives because he thought we had responsibility to try our best anytime. Well, as you can guess, our productivity fall down, and he got mad again. Since most of employees in this company disliked work, it was difficult to use “Theory Y” management style. I think most people cannot work so hard at minimum wage, especially when they are teen, so managers should follow “Theory X” in such situations. Managers need to know what their employees are looking for.

No comments: