Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Chapter 11

I found “Individualist cultures” (p.352) meaningful because I’m from different culture. It’s hard for me to do everything by myself, and I have never viewed the world by my personal own view. I want to know how people in individualist cultures create their views.

In my country (collectivist cultures), most people get information from television programs, newspaper, or online news. Most news casters tend to give some comments, and audiences tend to agree with them. Since most of us do not have extremely strong opinion, mass media dominates public opinion. It’s totally different from American culture.

I personally feel that Americans like to criticize other people whose opinions are different, so lots of TV shows have different point of views. I enjoy to see the same news in different shows (or articles), because they often have different opinions.

But I’m wondering how people in individualist cultures decide whether agree or disagree with others. In classroom discussions I had at SJSU, many students did not have strong point of views, and tend to follow the instructors’ opinions. (Only few students had strong opinions.) Then, I thought the way people in individualist cultures decide whether to agree depends on who is speaking. If people respect speakers, then they will agree with most cases regardless of their opinion. (This is my personal thought, so maybe wrong.) Please tell me if you know how people in individualist cultures make own decisions.

1 comment:

Jordan White said...

I'm assuming that people in individualistic cultures make decisions in the way that their culture is described - individually. They are encouraged to think independently and individually so that they can come up with their own thoughts and actions. This means that they are not to be affected by others' opinions and actions as much as they are to be affected by what they personally think. However, many people's "individuality" is in fact shaped by the way others think and feel. So, perhaps it is a combination of both? Hope this helped a little...