I found “advanced communication and information technologies (ACITs)” meaningful because I think future business will use ACITs more frequently. Most college students today have internet access today, and SJSU requires students having own email address. We register classes and pay tuition online, and this class actually exists virtually.
When I took business organizational behavior class, my group decided to communicate virtually, and we had face-to-face meetings only twice. We made a yahoo group account as a place in which members can share the information. We could post anything like our outline of the project, resources, comments, and etc.
It seemed like we saved a lot of time because we could access all members anytime, but most of us were frustrated. Since we were inexperienced in computer mediated communication, most of us spend too much time in front of computer; this computer mediated network dominated our personal lives. Actually, we didn’t save time, but spent more time than other groups. Furthermore, when one member tried to make a joke, others took it seriously, and we had a big conflict.
From this experience, I would say people need to know how to communicate online before they start using it. I tend to check my text message or email box too many times a day, which implies that I do not have private time.
I’m curious to know how people in online class live with computer mediated communication. Are you addicted to them like me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think it’s a nature to be addicted to communication, and may not be and internet problem parse. I don’t know how old you are, or when you were exposed to the internet, but I only started using it at about 12 or so. Before then I remember some of my friends being on the phone for hours with each other, and those were the same kids who became obsessed with communication on the internet. I was never into the phone, having a million friends, or communicating on a constant basis with my friends, so no, I don’t experience an obsession with online communication.
Also, regarding internet class, I have saved countless hours of my life by taking online classes. I understand you had a frustrating experience with it, but mine has been only positive. I have taken both online and in school, and found that in the subjects I do well in, I do just as well online and maybe even better because I am more motivated because Id don’t feel as though I am wasting time in a classroom.
This is just my personal opinion-I understand it is not true for all…
I have had a computer at home for the past 5 or 6 years and the only time I used it was for school. I enjoy doing things like working outside and reading books on topics that interest me - most of which are not available on-line. I changed jobs this past year and my employer gave me a laptop to use when I travel. Now I spend more time than ever ever before on the computer - not because I want to, but because I have to. I realize that computers are here to stay, but I still enjoy doing things in the physical world rather than living on-line. Some of my friends seem to spend most of their time surfing which has made our friendship more distant.
Post a Comment